Pancake is something I can have for breakfast, tapas and dinner. But for a long time I had kept myself aloof from this wholesome & soulful meal come dessert, for not getting a proper recipe to make a good healthy mouth watering pancake.
Though late than never, I came up with various options on the internet, and after practicing quite a few recipes and mixing this with that, I more or less mastered to this below one, and I will share my super simple & easy pancake recipe with you today..
Ingredients: makes 2-3 pancakes
- Whole Wheat flour: 1 cup
- Oats flour or whole rolled oats: 1/2 cup
- Ripe Banana – 2
- Baking Powder: 1/2 teaspoon
- Baking Soda: 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt: just a small pinch
- Milk: 2 cups- as per requirement
- Vanila essence: 1 tablespoon (or few drops depending on what quality essence you are using)
- Dates: 3-4 (as per sweet-tooth) OR Honey OR Jaggery
- Coco powder- 1 table spoon (optional)
- crushed peanuts- 1 table spoon + little more to garnish (optional)
- Sesame seeds- 1 table spoon (Optional)
- Oil to fry the pancakes (or you may use butter or margarine)
- Chocolate Sauce (dark chocolate bar and little milk)
- Let’s start with the dry ingredients first:
- Mix whole wheat flour & Oats flour (Oats flour is nothing but ground oats on food processor or mixer grinder, as simple as that) in 2:1 quantity, if you don’t want to use oats flour, no problem at all, use only wheat flour.
- Add a pinch of salt, baking powder, baking soda, crushed peanuts, sesame seeds, coco powder in the flour mixer and keep aside
- Now, blend the ripe banana, dates (if dates aren’t very soft, soak them in milk for some time) and half of the milk together (don’t use the entire milk at a time) into a fine paste and pour it in a big bowl.
- In this bowl of liquid mixer, add the dry ingredients in small quantity and keep mixing them gently, make sure there is no lump forming. If this mix makes that batter very sticky, then add little more milk or water in the batter.
- The batter will be little thick but less thicker than cake batter again not very runny like a sauce.
- Add the essence (You may use any essence of your choice) and mix it once again.
- The batter is ready, now time to make the pancakes
- In a Non-sticky pan, add little oil (make sure the pan is hot enough & keep the flame low while pouring the batter), take a dollop of batter and pour it on the pan. start with small dollop of batter to understand whether that thickness is good enough for the pan cake (which means it’s not sticking to the pan in a way that you can’t flip it).
- Spread the batter slowly from the center to outward and a bit evenly on the pan in a round motion.
- NOW, wheat flour pancake cane be a bit tricky, especially if you are adding oats in it. It sticks to the surface very easily.
- SO, using Non-stick pan is essential and let one side cook properly, then only flip to the other side
- to make whole wheat pan-cake you have to be very patient, one side may take about 5 minutes to cook completely. Once there are small bubbles start busting softly on the cake, it’s more or less time to flip it.
- start separating the edges first, then slowly slid the spud at the middle of the pancake, once the entire pancake comes on your spud, flip it over and wait for another 4-5 minutes keeping the flame low. (if required add little more oil after flipping the pancake)
- That’s it, that how to make an easy crispy pancake.
- Garnish it with sliced banana, strawberry, chocolate sauce (I add dark chocolate bar & little milk to keep a thick consistency, and put it in the micro for 40-60 seconds, and once the chocolate melts, my sauce is ready) or whatever You like.
Buen provecho!! & Let me know how it goes…