From the time I got to know about One Pot Rice recipes, I keep searching for some or the other different kinds of them on internet. They are super easy to make, with some great fortune quite healthy, and the best is.. so very tasty that you can never have enough of them. Are you also a fan of One Pot Rice recipes? Or haven’t you tried any of One Pot yet!!! Please don’t say You don’t know about it!!
Okay Okay no problem, I know not everybody can’t know everything… I mean.. absolutely!! Whatever it is.. So far I have shared quite a few One pot recipes, so you will find them on my blog. Here is another easy-peasy one, I made it with prawn… I love prawn and the lady of the house also loves prawn!! So here it is.. An One pot rice with Prawn or as we Indians call it Prawn Pulao!!
Recipe: What did I do?
- This was a way too easy recipe to make any changes. But you know sometimes there’s something missing in the kitchen, then you want some special flavour added to your dish.. Something like that happened with me the day I was making this dish.. Actually this ‘missing ingredients’ scenario is very common in our house.
- So let’s start… I had marinated the prawns (you may take whatever size suits you, My father got some fresh dancing medium sized prawns at the market and he got those) with salt-pepper and some lime juice. Keep it aside for about 30 minutes.
- Wash the rice grains and soak them in water. Don’t forget to measure the rice in a cup, as you will need the same cup to measure water. You know it right?
- My family loves some added potato with any one pot dish, this time I took the request, I per boiled some big potatoes, cut them into halves and shallow fried them in oil. While frying, the potatoes should almost be cooked.
- Now comes the main cooking part. Take a pot, add some oil and some ghee, add few whole spices like, Cinnamon- cloves- cardamom- bay leaf- black pepper, let them sizzle a bit and infuse their aroma with the oil and ghee. Add chopped onions, cook them till they turn translucent and slightly brown from the edges.
- Then add the Prawns, with it add some turmeric, crushed black pepper, garam masala powder and Chopped Coriander leaves. mix them all and cook till the prawns are well cooked and there’s no raw smell of the prawn.
- Now drain all the water from the soaked rice, and add the rice into the pot, mix with the prawn and cook for about 2-3 minutes.
- After this add water to the pot, remember the quantity of water should be no. of cups of rice + 1.5 cups water extra (1 cup extra water if you are using Basmati rice, I used normal long grain rice). I used some cow milk here as there was no coconut milk available in the house, I forgot that in my shopping list! So, I used 3 cups of rice, my water and milk was (1 cup milk + 3.5 cups of water)
- Once the water comes to a boil, add salt, give it a mix and reduce the heat to low. Now place the potatoes one by one on top of the rice, some slit green chilies and some more fresh coriander leaves; sprinkle some garam masala powder. Then cover the pot and let it cook for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, gently stir the rice, if it’s cooked, then put the heat off and keep the pot covered for another 10 minutes.
- In case you need to add more water, add some hot boiling water in small quantities till it’s cooked.
This simple humble easy Prawn Pulao was super palatable and so scrumptiously savoured. I say do make it once for a family meal and everyone will adore you. It’s tried and tasted.. so you got to trust Mee here!!
Inspired by @SanjeevKapoor Khazana