One Pot Rice is never ever a bad idea for a fulfilling meal for a non-passionate cook like me. Minimum ingredients, time saving, easy to handle and appeasing taste buds followed by a well-fed tummy. Variety of menu is something I am always looking for; but I will only try those which are super easy and hassle free to make (expecting there are more such people exist!!).
The recipe of Soya Chunk Pulao came in a YouTube search when I was looking for some inspiration with soya chunks. Did I ever tell you that food crave makes me hungry and tetchy, and until I find a suitable food recipe to try the day just doesn’t rest for me!! Does that happen to you? Whatever, let’s talk about this sumptuous pulao which I made on an afternoon.
The recipe shared by @Home cooking show had given an easy enough recipe to make any changes. I just added few more ingredients to this dish to make it a little more wholesome. Did you note that?? I ‘Added’ few things!!
Let’s get to the Recipe:
- After soaking the soya chunks in warm water, squeeze every bit of water from the soya chunks.
- I marinated the Soya chunks with: Curd, Turmeric, Little salt, Black Pepper, Garam Masala Powder and kept it for 20 odd minutes.
- I used regular normal rice instead of Basmati rice, I washed the rice, soaked in water for 30 minutes.
- I did the entire cooking in a pot instead of pressure cooker, so sharing the recipe accordingly. Taking a pot, put little ghee and oil (1:2 ration), add whole cumin, bay leaf, whole cinnamon, clove, cardamom in the oil; let them infuse in the oil until the aroma of the spices fills your heart.
- Add, finely chopped onion with chopped green chilies. Let them soften a bit, then add some vegetables like diced green beans and carrots. Let them cook for a while. After about 2-3 minutes, add ginger-garlic paste, let it cook for some time. Wait till the raw smell of ginger-garlic is gone.
- Add chopped tomatoes (you may make a paste of the tomato), turmeric powder, garam masala powder, black pepper, let it cook for a bit. Now add the marinated soya chinks, half of the chopped coriander leaves, mint leaves and let this mix cook for some time. Keeping the flame low, cover the pot for 2-3 minutes for the spices to cook and release it’s natural oil.
- After this add the rice, let everything mix well with the spices and , about 2-3 minutes later add water. As I used normal rice, it needs more water than basmati rice, for 1 cup of rice 1 used 2 cups of water (two things, usually the measure of water is: the equal number of cups of rice + 1 cup water extra.. In case you need more water, you may add additional water later but at that time it has to be boiling water, just heat some water in a micro wave). Once the water starts boiling, add salt and mix with the rice, keeping the flame at lowest sprinkle some fresh chopped coriander, some slit green chilies, little ghee and cover the pot for about 20 minutes.
- After about 20 minutes, give few minutes of resting time, and that’s it you are ready to go..
Raita: Raita goes really well with this pulao, take a bowl of plain curd, add finely chopped cucumber, onions, tomatoes, coriander leaves in the curd, add little salt, roasted cumin powder and mix it well. You raita is ready, now enjoy it all..
Inspired by @Home Cooking Show