Food served in a bowl always gets some partial attention from me. This lunch bowl is inspired by a jungle trek I went for in Cambodia. The guides who took us to the top of the hill, cooked hot lunch for us in that quiet hill-top.
The lunch consisted of Sticky Rice, Barbecue chicken (which was more of pan fried dry chicken), vegetables saute and pine apple to finish the lunch. I loved the fried chicken and I wanted to have that same food again and again. Coming back home, I tried re-creating that dish with a little here and there change.
SO for this lunch bowl, I made Coriander Rice, blanched vegetables and fried chicken and topped it with a fried egg.
I would love to help you with my recipe, hope you will try this too…
- Cooked rice (I didn’t have sticky rice, I took normal rice)
- Chopped coriander leaves
- Boneless Chicken (Or you can use with bone, it’s fine)
- Soya sauce
- Chili sauce
- Tomato sauce
- Ginger & Garlic powder (You can use finely chopped or paste)
- Black pepper
- All vegetables can be roughly chopped or however you are comfortable with
- You may also add veggies of your choice. If you are using Potato, then boil the potato before, as other vegetables won’t take much time to soften.
- Lets start with the chicken first, as we have to marinate the chicken for sometime. Marinate the chicken with all the sauces, ginger-garlic powder, salt-pepper for about 30 minutes.
- Now the Vegetables. On a moderately heated pan, add little oil, the add all the vegetables. Put little salt on it. Stir for sometime, once coming to soften, add little water (very little, we just want to soften the veggies a bit). when the water comes to boil, lower the heat, cover the pan for 5 minutes. After which, when the water dries, remove the vegetables from the pan, the vegetable should little soft but little crunchy.
- Rice: In the pan, add little oil, then little butter; then add little chopped coriander (divide the chopped coriander in three small portion, 1/3 of it is used first on the oil), once the flavour of coriander is infused with oil, add the cooked rice, add salt, another 1/3 of the chopped coriander and stir for about 3 minutes, add rest of the coriander and keep it aside. (NOTE: no need to use a lot of coriander, may be for one cup rice use 1 table spoon coriander, and divide that 1 table spoon coriander in three smaller portion)
- Finally the hero of the dish. Add little oil in the pan (little, we don’t want to deep fry the chicken, we want that charred chicken), add the chicken and fry till you get your favourite colour on the chicken pieces.
- That’s it, plate the food or bowl the food the way you prefer, add fried egg on top of the food if you prefer. And just get ready with a big spoon and eat your mouthful.
Enjoy and let me know how it went…