You know what’s the Best part of festivals?? It’s fun, felicity and FOOOD.. lots of it and variety of it!! And, no rules for some days, just loose it.. eat whatever you feel like, eat till your belly-button is exploding, no nauseate on over-consumption of calories and it’s just Merriment, heart overflowing with joy, laughter as loud as to make the neighbors jump, midnight house carols out of order.. no matter whether do-re-mi-fa-so still exists… What am I talking about??!!
Hey it’s the biggest festival of the world.. It’s Christmas time.. isn’t your kitchen so busy these days? Isn’t it smelling Oh so irresistible?? I mean the oven is baking some thing or the other, there’s flavour of ginger, vanilla, chocolate, rum.. Ooo then there’s the Turkey!! Festivals are just the best time of the year.
But This year.. Ohh This very Year, staying all inside the home, I am celebrating for longer than just one day, this time. And I am outdoing myself. I started with these small piece of crispy joys, and I had never ever had baked cookies before.. Why? No Clue.. But I can tell you how was the experience… And.. And.. A N D.. I still managed it healthy.. Yayyy!! I know I just said ‘just loose it!!‘
Okay.. there are many such recipes available on Youtube these days, no BIG deal to find a healthy recipe for whatever you feel like!! Well, let me tell you, it is a big deal because the first attempt was devastating and heart-breaking, I couldn’t even offer them for a Taste-check to my Mum!! Oh, that was a living nightmare.. can’t go back there again. Though I have to be honest with you, I tried the recipe step by step only changing maple syrup with honey but it was way too horrible, I don’t know what went wrong but I was almost shattered, not that ‘even the biggest of the chefs have their bad days’ but my cooking (after I was moderately used to of heat, tossing or seasoning) hadn’t been such wasteful for ages now… Fine, for some time!! I couldn’t get away with this failure however. So the only way out was, Try it once again. I tried with some alteration, and considered a little advise from Mum who has done no baking at all, but it worked. SO let me share my altered version of this Healthy Ginger Cookies…
- Whole Oats- 1 cup
- Oats Flour- 3/4 cup
- Baking Powder- 1 Teaspoon
- Pinch of Salt
- Pinch of clove powder (I really used a small pinch)
- Ginger powder- 1 Teaspoon
- Freshly grated ginger- 1 Teaspoon
- Vanilla essence- 1/2 Teaspoon
- Pure Coconut oil- 1/4 cup (you may use olive oil or butter)
- Caramelised Jaggery (in place of molasses and maple syrup)- 1/2 cup
- Chopped roasted Almonds- 12 (You may also add some raisins)
Let me first start with the Caramelised Jaggery:
- In a pot, add 1/2 cup of jaggery powder with 1/4 cup of water.
- Dissolve the jaggery powder or whole jaggery whatever you have in store at home, with the water.
- Now put the pan over the heat, keeping the heat low or medium, keep stirring the liquid.
- Once the liquid comes to a boil, keep stirring it, after about 3-5 minutes, the liquid starts to stick to the spoon slightly, but the liquid still remains quite watery. Take it off the heat.
- Don’t wait for it to get thicken more, because the sauce will still cook till the time it’s completely getting cold. Keep it aside.
Recipe of Oatmeal Cookie:
- Mix the dry ingredients- Oats, oats flour, salt, clove powder, baking powder, ginger powder, chopped almonds.
- Add the grated ginger, vanilla essence, oil- kneed nicely
- Add the jaggery- you may use half of the jaggery first, mix it well with your hands, then either use the rest or as much you think you may need.
- Kneed everything nicely (not as nicely as the dough for Naan or roti), all ingredients should mix well and it should be a little sticky and the dough will come together, but it will be little crumbly or granular.
- Now on a baking dish, lay a butter paper, take small balls from the dough and place them on the baking tray. keep distance in between the dough balls. I pressed them a bit and gave them a little flat shape.
- Pre heat the oven into 180- degree Celsius or 350-degree Fahrenheit, pop the baking tray in their for 12 to 15 minutes. First try with 12, let them cool, if you still think it needs little more cooking time, them pop them in the oven again. Also the edges of the cookies will turn brown, which means the cookies are done.
It tasted lot lot better.. The lady of the house was happy, only she wanted some dry fruits to be added.. And I think, I have another recipe to try now.. Come back next week, plus-minus the same time.. Deal??
Inspired by @Feasting on Fruit
3 thoughts on “Healthy Oats Ginger Cookie Recipe”
I have to try these!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you for stopping by.. I am sure you will like it..