Bengali’s Aampora Sharbat|| Recipe with Raw Green Mango||
Summer is the season for Mango and more mango.. raw mango, green mango (both are same though), sweet-ripped-yellow-juicy mango.. Eat them right after peeling or cook Dal with raw mango, sweet & sour Mango chutney.. ooo yumm… then Mango Lassi.. Mango smoothie.. I just had a mango banana smoothie for breakfast and is was.. Aweeee-soommeee!! It was tasty, sweet without any added sweetener and it was a give-me-more huge glass of morning ecstasy.. But this recipe may be some day later.. because today I am talking about a ‘Be-alive, Feel-Alive’ drink.. it’s not just a drink, it’s a potion.. it’s the demulcent of Alpine frost on scorching Miami summer!! You get that!
It’s Aam Panna Sharbat!! Trust Me if you haven’t tried it yet.. you still haven’t enjoyed sticky summer to the fullest.. there are many companies selling Aam Panna at stores.. you can try them anytime.. but there’s nothing like home-made comfort food. The earthy smell of green mango, the tangy soury taste of the raw mango blended with something sweet.. And it’s not done there.. it needs to be fresh, it’s need to be icy cold and it should swell the tongue, though not freeze but it will give a halcyon to your heart.. That’s too much for a description.. Are you Ready??
- Raw Green Mangoes : big size- 2-3 (don’t use the small ones for this recipe)
- Jaggery powder or Jaggery- as per taste (1/2 cup)
- Mint leaves- 1/2 cup
- Ice cubes
- Black Salt- 1 table spoon
- Chaat Masala- 1 Tablespoon
- Black pepper- 1 teaspoon
- Ginger Powder- 1/2 tablespoon
- Roasted cumin powder: 1 teaspoon
- White salt: 1/4 teaspoon
- Take the mangoes, cut the stalks of the mangoes from the top and soak them in normal water for some time. It will get rid of the the stickiness from the mango.
- Now keeping the flame low, roast the mangoes from all sides, it will take about 5-7 minutes for the mangoes to become charred.
- At this the mangoes may get soft or still remain little hard. Don’t worry. Rest the mangoes to cool a bit.
- Once cooled, peel the skin and cut the mangoes in small pieces, get rid of the seeds.
- Take a small pot, take some water in it, take the jaggery or jaggery powder (you may also use sugar here, for me jaggery and raw mango are great combination), dissolve the jaggery in the water, let it come to a boil. Add the mango pieces in the jaggery water.
- On low flame let them cook for about 3-5 minutes. Then let them cool completely. You may also do this prep a night before or in the morning, so that you can have it in the evening.
- OR.. You may skip the entire process of grilling the mangoes as it’s little messy job, and straight away drop the raw mango pieces into the jaggery water and boil them for about 7-10 minutes in medium heat.
- Let’s prepare the ice cubes, you may use normal ice cubes, or as I did, I placed few fresh mint leaves on the ice tray, poured water on them and let them freeze.
- Once the mango is cooled, take a blender or mixer grinder, add few mint leaves (this is also optional, if you want the mango to rule, just opt it out but fresh mints take this drink to a different level altogether!!), add the mango pieces only first (keep the jaggery water, we will need it) and blend them to a smooth creamy paste.
- OR you may mix the mango paste with the jaggery water and keep it in the freeze for 10-14 days.
- Now let’s make the Masala mix: Mix black salt powder- black pepper powder (you may use crushed)- salt- cumin powder- ginger powder- chaat masala and mix them well and keep aside.
- Now the main part:
- Take a glass: add 1 teaspoon of the spice mix, add 2-3 table spoon of the mango pulp, add 3-4 table spoons of jaggery water, add few ice cubes, add normal or cold water on to this, give it a mix.. And voila.. you sweet-tangy- refreshing home-made mocktail is ready …
If you have never heard of this drink (I hope that’s not the case!) it may not convince you immediately.. but blindly try this once.. trust me you are missing hell of few serenity of moments in your life.. This is the season to get raw mango in the market, tomorrow is a Sunday, you should have it with your family in the evening by all means..